[Beowulf] Station wagon full of tapes

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue May 26 06:54:15 PDT 2009

I deal quite often with the "next-gen" DNA sequencing instruments that
produce 1TB/day in TIFF images that are then distilled down to the DNA
basecalls before the short reads are subjected to alignment. Then the
resulting longer sequences are usually aligned again against a
reference genome.

Lots of data, lots of computation.

The 1 Terabyte of TIFF images typically reduces down to about 200 GB
in intermediate data which is further distilled down into a few
hundred KB of actual sequence data. The entire process is interesting
and it is a massive Bio/IT challenge as these types of terabyte-scale
data producing lab instruments are popping up everywhere (the cost of
one of these instruments is now easily within reach of a single grant-
funded researcher at a facility of any size...). We are only a few
technology revolutions away from these boxes showing up in your point
of care primary physician's office (well not really, probably a
backend service lab that your physician outsources to ...)

Anyway the new data ingestion service that Amazon offers is, I think,
going to be a big deal in our field.

For the following reasons:

- Bio people are being buried in data
- Once we process the data to get the derived results, the primary
data just needs to go somewhere cheap
- Amazon and other internet-scale people can do peta-scale or exa-
scale storage far better & cheaper than any of my customers
- These instruments are popping up in wet labs across campus with weak/
anemic network links to IT core facilities and data centers
- Scientists in many cases are required to share data that is grant
funded
- Amazon has some neat "downloader pays" models that make it easier
for researchers to affordably offer up peta-scale data sets for sharing

I suspect that very large amount of scientific data will be making a 1-
way trip into the cloud. The data will stay there "forever" as a deep
store. In the ocasional cases where the data needs to be re-processed
or re-analyized it would be not unreasonable to fire up some cloud
server nodes to do the re-work in-situ.

The disk ingest service was the final piece. I can see this happening
in life science environments:

- Massive data generated in the wet lab
- Captured to local storage (10 - 40TB) with small HPC component
- Data is processed locally into derived and distilled forms
- Derived data replicated to campus/lab facilities for online primary
storage
- Derived data (and possibly the full raw data) is compressed, placed
onto drives and ingested into Amazon for long term storage
- If re-analysis is ever needed, have existing EC2 AMIs preloaded with
the necessary software

Basically it comes down to the fact that Amazon may be able to offer
big-yet-slow storage in the terabyte to petabyte range at levels of
cost and geographical redundancy that would be extremely difficult to
match with local resources at a small non-specialized organization.

My $.02 of course

-Chris