[Beowulf] MPI - time for packing, unpacking, creating a message...

Bruno Coutinho coutinho at dcc.ufmg.br
Sat May 23 08:43:57 PDT 2009

If you are using Gigabit Ethernet with jumbo frames (9000 bytes for
example):
A will send 3 packets with 4000 bytes and
B will send one of 9000 bytes and one of 7000 bytes.

For the cpu B is better, because will generate one system call and A will
generate three and
as many high speed interconnects today need large packets to fully utilize
their bandwidth, I think that B should be faster.
But the only way to be sure is testing.