[Beowulf] recommendations for cluster upgrades - compilers

John Krump jkrump at advancedclustering.com
Mon May 18 07:48:36 PDT 2009

wrote:

> >  Hallo Tiago,
>>
>>   Which brings to a point that I forgot to mention to you. When
>> considering Intel machines, you can always get a compiler license for
$2000,
>> give or take,
>>

>> 2000 USD sounds rather expensive. Node locked licenses are usually
>> cheaper... Look for the package with Compilers, MKL and MPI - the Cluster
>> Toolkit. Is definitely worth it (when buying more than just a single
>> machine).
>>

>It wasn't, Intel only required me that we purchase one license that can be
>used to compile software for all nodes. Given the price of the 8 nodes, it
>was a small percentage of the total. Still, it seems to be cheaper, I've
> checked the Cluster Toolkit Compiler Edition for Linux costs $1699.
> I mostly only use ICC, Ifort and sometimes MKL. Even MKL isn't faster than
> GotoBLAS, although not by much, and I only use it when I need LAPACK
> routines.
> Best regards,
> Tiago Marques

>> Jan

Hello List,

There are quite a few versions of the Intel Cluster Compiler kits out these
days and there are discounts available for education. The large Intel
Cluster Compiler Toolkit offers C++, Fortran, MKL and MPI. If you do not
need the Intel MPI then save yourself some money and go for the Intel
Compiler Suite Professional Edition which includes C++, Fortran and MKL. The
Intel part number is CSP999LSGE1; or for those in the academia, use this
part number to save about 65%: CSP999LSAE1. Apparently they are fond of
their MPI product because the Pro Edition is much less expensive. This part
is hard to find from the compilers website so here is a link:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-compiler-suite-professional-edition-for-windows-and-linux/

Thanks,

John Krump
Twitter: @HPC_John