[Beowulf] recommendations for cluster upgrades

Tiago Marques a28427 at ua.pt
Sat May 16 12:34:15 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm part of a - still small - computational group at Aveiro, Portugal, and
we only have 8 dual quad-core 2.66GHz Xeons.

I've benched a Core i7 with some common computation and it's incredibly fast
compared to Xeons 5400.

One of the codes, VASP, is very bandwidth limited and loves to run in a
number of cores multiple of 3. The 5400s are also very bandwith - memory and
FSB - limited which causes that they sometimes don't scale well above 6
cores. They are very fast per core, as someone mentioned, when compared to
AMD cores.

These are the times I get from a benchmark I usually run in VASP:

VASP on Core i7:
        - 1 core = 162.453s, 162.778s (no HT)
        - 2 cores = 100s,102s (no HT)
        - 3 cores = 77.835s, 78.195s (no HT)
        - 4 cores = 87.63s, 87.322s (no HT)
        - 6 cores = *76.56s, 76.4s*
        - 6 cores DDR3-1600 CAS9 - 69.654s, 68.816s, 67.7s

HT doesn't add much but DDR3-1600 does. Still, ~78s is very fast with a
quad-core because our dual 5400s can only do *91s* at best, even using
tweaks like CPU affinity, which brings it down from 95s, by distributing
only 3 threads per socket and not 4/2 or having 4 of them constantly jumping
from socket to socket.

Also, the Core i7 run GotoBLAS prepared for Penryn CPUs and IFort compiled
VASP with all the optimizations for the Penryn Xeons. Compiling both for
Nehalem would probably yield 10-15% more performance.

A desktop quad-core trouncing a one year old dual Xeon QC left me thoroughly
impressed. It will also scale better if you can use the extra cores
available, while this has rarely been the case with Penryn based Xeons - at
most it gave us 5% improvement of 6 cores.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to run anything more and VASP is our main
"customer".

Still, if you can upgrade to Shangai cpus, it may be a better deal than
switching all to Nehalem.

Best regards,

Tiago Marques