[Beowulf] Should I go for diskless or not?

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Fri May 15 05:26:36 PDT 2009

You will note that I used sufficient wiggle words "usually" and
"generally" because in my experience it always depends.
And of course my comments are from my personal
experience. I have found that diskless allows for
the entire cluster to be "re provisioned" without
have into re-image disks. Reboots are quicker
(for the hardware I use) and since I use ram
disk approach (Warewulf/Perceus) I find that things
are a bit faster, also the diskless image has
minimal services running vs a disk-full distribution image.
(I fully understand the good admin can trim a
disk-full distribution)

There are plenty of arguments either way.  Back in 2006
I did a mini-poll on node disk space usage:

http://www.clustermonkey.net//component/option,com_poll/task,results/id,18/

So "in general, it varies". YMMV

--
Doug