[Beowulf] recommendations for cluster upgrades

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Wed May 13 08:57:23 PDT 2009

Of course, neither the numerator or denominator here are atomic.  In particular,
performance must refer to sustained performance on your application(s). I would
expect bandwidth intensive applications to show enough of an advantage on
Nehalem to compensate for the difference in processor price; on the other hand
if you are planning a socket-only upgrade, the result might be different.  This
is an occasion to break out Excel, and crunch your numbers.  In addition,
I would consider the average processor count of the your work load.  If it typically
does not exceed your current system size, running two clusters with different
architectures as a throughput engine might make sense.

Regards,

rbw