[Beowulf] recommendations for cluster upgrades

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Tue May 12 16:30:26 PDT 2009

The Nehalem-based Xeon 5500 series of native quad-core processors
from Intel with a 3 channel DDR3 memory controller on-chip, cc-NUMA
capability supported by Intel's response to AMD's HT, QPI and with an
on-chip Power Control Unit that actively manages idle and active power
consumption is a dramatic leap forward for Intel in this space, eliminating
most (all?) of the micro-architectural advantages that AMD since it introduced
Opteron. This is  especially true if you have bandwidth heavy applications
because, as has been discussed here already, Nehalem has 3 faster
DDR3 memory channels on-chip.

Most benchmarks  I have seen put Nehalem ahead of AMD's comparable
Shanghai native  quad-core, although you could wait for the 6-core AMD
Instanbul which does somewhat better than Shanghai even with its further
strained and somewhat lagging  DDR2 memory subsystem.  Does a socket
upgrade make since with the  boards that you already have?  This is the
choice that AMD hopes you  will make.  Intel, on the other hand, wants to
look at the Xeon 5500's  performance and power management, and go for
the forklift  upgrade.

rbw
--
Rahul