[Beowulf] re: open64 from AMD (was newbie)

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Tue May 12 16:26:17 PDT 2009

----- "Mark Hahn" <hahn at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> me too, but it brings up a thorny topic: how to compare the
> performance of different compilers?  the obvious "run it on
> your code and see" is not helpful in my case, since my goal
> is to have a good choice for a large shared HPC organization
> (several thousand users currently.)

Personally I think you're on a hiding to nothing if
you try to do that, what we do is provide multiple
compilers and recommend to our users that they test
their code themselves.

Not a direct answer I'm afraid, but just wanted to
share our experiences (we've got a 600+ registered
users at present, but they're not all active at once
thankfully).

cheers,
Chris