[Beowulf] evaluating FLOPS capacity of our cluster

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:07:36 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Gus Correa <gus at ldeo.columbia.edu> wrote:
> If you don't feel like running the HPL benchmark (It is fun,
> but time consuming) to get your actual Gigaflops
> (Rmax in Top500 jargon),
> you can look up the Top500 list the Rmax/Rpeak ratio for clusters
> with hardware similar to yours.
> You can then apply this factor to your Rpeak calculated as above,
> to get a reasonable guess for your Rmax.
> This may be good enough for the purpose you mentioned.

Rmax/Rpeak= 0.83 seems a good guess based on one very similar system
on the Top500.

Thus I come up with a number of around 1.34 TeraFLOPS for my cluster
of 24 servers.  Does the value seem reasonable ballpark? Nothing too
accurate but I do not want to be an order of magnitude off. [maybe  a
decimal mistake in math! ]

Hardware:
 Dell PowerEdgeSC1345's. All 64 bit machines with a dual channel
bonded Gigabit ethernet interconnect. AMD Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm)
Processor 2354.

PS.  The Athelon was my typo, earlier sorry!

--
Rahul