[Beowulf] evaluating FLOPS capacity of our cluster

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Mon May 11 12:52:50 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Gus Correa <gus at ldeo.columbia.edu> wrote:
> Of course even the HPL Rmax is
> not likely to be reached by a real application,
> with I/O, etc, etc.
> Rahul and I may be better off testing Rmax with our real
> programs.

I do know that these benchmarks can be somewhat unrealistic and the
real test is the actual application that you want to run. I already
have those timed-benchmarks for my particular computational chemistry
code and more specifically with a job representative of what we might
consider "typical" for computations on our cluster.

Yet, while speaking to larger audiences sometimes FLOPS becomes a
commonly reported and understood benchmark and hence my desire to
compute it.

That is another reason why the exact-FLOPS capacity is of not so much
interest to me as a approximate value.

--
Rahul