[Beowulf] newbie

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Fri May 1 16:05:41 PDT 2009

----- "Mike Davis" <jmdavis1 at vcu.edu> wrote:

> Also, a particular code may run much better with
> one "optimized" compiler than another. I have some
> that require PGI to run at all.

This is one of our main reasons we maintain multiple
commercial compilers - letting our users easily build
code that is dependent on a specific compiler.

I suspect the cost of the compiler easily outweighs
the cost of our time to try and help them get it
working (if possible), not to mention the potential
opportunity "cost" to the researchers of them giving
up on HPC because they can't get it to work and it
doesn't occur to them to ask for help.

cheers,
Chris