[Beowulf] X5500

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 01:27:55 PDT 2009

So, Nehalem-EP is out, NDAs are gone, and we're all waiting for figures. :)

Being advantaged by my easterly timezone, I'll start: SGI published a press
release about the inclusion of Nehalems into their ICE platform, and added
some benchmark galore.

"""
Performance Soars by 140 Percent with Unprecedented Scalability
The new system delivers reliably scalable performance gains of up to 140
percent across a variety of data-intensive applications, including the Fluent
computational fluid dynamics (CFD) application, the VASP Ab-Initio simulation,
and WRF weather modeling.

* Fluent. A 14-million-cell model of the external flow of a truck body was
tested on 64 cores of an Altix ICE 8200EX with Intel® Xeon® processor 5500
series at 2.93GHz. On the new SGI system, the test ran 1.59x faster than AMD
Shanghai at 2.7GHz and 1.73x faster than Altix ICE 8200EX with Intel® Xeon®
processor X5472 at 3.0GHz on 64 cores — with near linear scalability. For a
larger 111-million-cell model, the performance improvement is even higher.
Altix ICE 8200EX with Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series at 2.93GHz/1067 is
1.64x faster than AMD Shanghai on 64 cores and 1.81x faster than Altix ICE
8200EX with Intel® Xeon® X5472 3.0GHz on 128 cores.

* VASP. When running the bench.PdO standard benchmark for the Vienna Ab-Initio
Simulation Package (VASP), the Altix ICE 8200EX with Intel® Xeon® processor
5500 series at 2.93GHz on 32 cores is 1.95x faster than the same system
equipped with Intel® Xeon® processors X5470 at 3.0GHz.

* WRF. The Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model of the continental
United States at 2.5km resolution runs 2.4x faster on Altix ICE 8200EX with
Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series at 2.93GHz on 128 cores than it does on a
similarly configured system featuring Intel® Xeon® processors X5470 at 3.0GHz.
"""
http://www.sgi.com/company_info/newsroom/press_releases/2009/march/altix_ice.html

Any other numbers, people?

Cheers,