[Beowulf] Wired article about Go machine

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Mar 26 08:44:17 PDT 2009

On 26 Mar 2009, at 2:42 pm, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Um, I don't believe that this is the case, and I say this as a semi-
> pro
> consultant in health care.

I don't know about hospital software, but it's certainly the case for
some DNA sequencer instruments.  Our ABI 3700 capillary sequencers
have Windows machines attached for the data collection.  ABI
explicitly forbid us from either patching Windows, or from installing
antivirus software.  Doing so would drop us off support.

Consequently, all those machines are on their own strongly firewalled
network where hopefully they can't get infected, and if they are, the
infections can't get back out again.  At least, not easily.

Tim