[Beowulf] Re: Cluster doesn't like being moved (Steve Herborn)

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 11 02:58:04 PDT 2009

2009/3/10 David Mathog <mathog at caltech.edu>:
>> That would be consistent with (2). If moving involves any "rolling on
> small wheels over rough surfaces" failed electrical connections are a
> common result.  We have a cart with about 10" inflated tires which is
> used to move equipment, specifically to minimize this issue.  The last 2
> racks we moved were completely disassembled, the frame moved first, then
> the nodes moved to it on this cart.

This is good advice. I once participated in a move of clusters to a
new building  at an oil company. I was very, very impressed with their
professionalism. They had hired a moving company, who unracked every
node and wrapped it in bubble wrap before moving it across to the new
building. As a result the systems came back up without major problems.

Five year old kit is getting old and cranky, and should be treated
like your arthritic grandmother.