[Beowulf] Xorg question

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jul 30 11:23:42 PDT 2009

> If I unset DISPLAY and reset it to DISPLAY=:0, I get 'cannot connect
> to DISPLAY'

that just means that the running X server is doing access control.
you have to start X without access control or hack it.  I'd recommend
not having X running on cluster nodes normally (why would you!?!).

instead, I start X-requiring programs something like this:

xinit /usr/X11R6/bin/xdpyinfo

it starts X for nothing but that command, and cleanly shuts down.
a more practical example might be:

xinit $command -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg -dpms -s off -config xorg.conf

> I'm trying to avoid having to walk around to a bunch of workstations
> just to see if the Accelerated X drivers are installed and running
> instead of the Mesa drivers.

surely you can find that out from the X startup logs...