[Beowulf] storage server hardware considerations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 15 23:36:58 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:49:47AM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> I've been building cheap, big, slow storage servers for our use.
> However, some of our users are starting to need higher performance IO.
> We still don't have a lot of money, but I'd like to provide something
> with a modest amount of storage (at least 500GB) that can at least
> handle full GigE, perhaps up to DDR Infiniband for future expansion,
> without breaking the bank.

If it has to be cheap I'd take e.g. a Sun with 8x 2.5" SATA drives,
using 300 GByte WD VelociRaptors as a stripe over mirrors, or 15
krpm SAS drives.

Right now you can populate a SuperMicro chassis with 16x SATA 3.5"
achieving e.g. a 24 GByte dual-socket Nehalem with 32 TByte raw
storage (WD RE4; 4.8 TByte with WD VelociRaptor) for about
6.2 kEUR sans VAT.