[Beowulf] Gigabit switch recommendations (again)

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Fri Jan 16 10:49:53 PST 2009

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their responses to my KVM query - I need to
digest those a bit more but the general picture I'm getting is that KVMs
are expensive and don't add much to the overall management.

On a related note, I'm also looking at a gigabit switch for the same
cluster. I saw some discussions in the archive from back in 2006 that
make it clear that all Gigabit switches are not created equal.

I've been doing some research but good performance data is pretty scarce
from the manufacturers (they mostly claim full 96Gbps switching
bandwidth but as was pointed out previously, this may be a) untrue or b)
partially true in that it refers to the bandwidth between ports
connected to the same switch ASIC).

What I'm seeing in my research is that there are a bunch of switches
around the €600 mark (such as D-Link's DGS-1248T) and then a bunch of
switches around the €1300 mark (such as HP's Procurve 2810-48G). If you
want to spend more, there are plenty of options above and beyond also.
What I can't see is a clear difference between the €600 switches and the
€1300 switches on the performance side.

Has anyone any direct experience of switches in these different price
ranges and has anyone seen significant performance differences? Or do
the low prices simply reflect the competition and the increasingly
commodity nature of gigabit switches?

Thanks,

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy       Applepie Solutions Ltd.      http://www.aplpi.com
Registered in Ireland, no. 289353 (5 Woodlands Avenue, Renmore, Galway)