[Beowulf] 10 GbE

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Wed Feb 11 05:05:29 PST 2009

Hi Igor,

Igor Kozin schrieb:
> we are embarking on evaluation of 10 GbE for HPC and I was wondering if
> someone has already had experience with Arista 7148SX 48 port switch
> or/and Netxen cards. General pros and cons would be greatly appreciated
> and in particular
> - Switch latency  (btw, the data sheet says x86 inside);
> - Netxen NX3-20GxR card vs Intel 10 GbE AD DA card.

We are running 10 Gb/s for our cluster backbone while still using 1 Gb/s
 to the nodes, so it might be hard to come up with "hard facts" which
are comparable. If you have a specific real world test program I can see
if I can give you some numbers.

If you just go according to data sheet numbers, we have this box
operating here which claims a 1,6us latency from port to port.

http://wovensystems.com/solutions/products/efx1000/

10 Gb/s card-wise we have Neterion cards and two Myricom cards for
evaluation, but have not done extensive latency tests since the
Neterions are in our Sun storage servers.

If you need more information, feel free to ping me off list.

Cheers

Carsten