[Beowulf] What is the right lubricant for computer rack sliding rails?

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Sat Feb 7 08:17:24 PST 2009

To invite (incite) further discussion on RGBs questions:

> Awww, y'all just don't understand.  The issue is WHY are
> we lubricating rack rails?

Indeed why use rails at all. If the answer to the following
question is hardly and

> I mean, how often do you pull a node in its lifetime?

if your answer is not very often, and finally
if you ask yourself: How much servicing do I do
while extended from the cabinet? And you answer is little
or none, then maybe you don't need rails.

I have a 19 inch rack chassis in my basement (of course this
is one of the few places I can make this statement and
not be laughed off the list). In any case, I occasionally get
servers to test and I have two of my own. I had pieces of L
shaped metal made that extend 2 inches under the server. They run
the complete length of the rack and are easily bolted to
the sides. I secure the server with the front screws (if at all).
I may pull a server out several times a year and I put
it on a bench, so I don't need to hold the server with rails.

The servers slide easy enough, and there is no complicated
detaching from the rails. Because it is like a shelf, the
server can shift sideways, but if I fasten the front screws
it holds them perfectly in place. For heavy servers you need
to be careful and have one person on each side.

If anyone is interested I can post some pictures. I could
even get some more made.

believed to be clean.