[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 60, Issue 6

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Fri Feb 6 12:27:42 PST 2009

Gus Correa <gus at ldeo.columbia.edu> wrote

> The particular rack I am using is old,
> salvaged not from the armed forces,
> but from our oceanographic equipment of our old decommissioned ship.
> Although the rack is in good shape, it may have larger asymmetries
> on the mounting holes than modern racks do.

RGB might be onto something about squaring up the rack.  Even a sturdy
rack might have been compromised if mishandled during transport.
Measure it carefully and verify that it is not warped.

If it is just the one set of rails that is a problem, can you move the
heavy unit it holds to the bottom of the rack, and support it with a
shelf (low tech warning - avert your eyes, hold your nose ...) or even a
pile of something underneath?  Then the unit could be dragged out if
need be, with probably less effort than is needed now with the bad rails.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu