[Beowulf] What is the right lubricant for computer rack sliding rails?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Feb 5 11:58:06 PST 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Gus Correa wrote:

> Dear Beowulfers
>
> A mundane question:
>
> What is the right lubricant for computer rack sliding rails?
> Silicone, paraffin, graphite, WD-40, machine oil, grease, other?

If you immerse your nodes in olive oil, it shouldn't be an issue, right?
;-)

Otherwise, graphite is the only one I'd reject a priori, as it's a fine
conducting powder.  Personally I'd use WD, but hell, I'd cook with WD if
I couldn't find any olive oil...

(The main issue in any case is to be sparing and not spray it so it gets
sucked into cooling fans.)

    rgb