[Beowulf] New member, upgrading our existing Beowulf cluster

Huw Lynes lynesh at Cardiff.ac.uk
Thu Dec 3 07:56:57 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 10:40 -0500, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> Hearns, John wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has actual experience with running more than
> > one node from a single power supply. Even just two boards on one PSU
> > would be nice. We will be using barely 200W per node for 50 nodes and it
> > just seems like a big waste to buy 50 power supply units. I have read
> > the old posts but did not see any reports of success.
> >
> > Look at the Supermicro twin systems, they have two motherboards in 1U or
> > four motherboards in 2U.
> >
> > I believe HP have similar.
>
> What I learned at SC09:
>
> HP does make twin nodes similar to SuperMicro, but the HP nodes are not
> hot-swappable, if a single node goes down, you need to take down all the
> nodes in the chassis before you can remove the dead node. Not very
> practical. The SuperMicro nodes are definitely hot-swappable.

The Supermicro 2U twin nodes with 4 mobos in each box are hot-swappable.
The 1U twin nodes with 2 mobos in each box are not.

Yes I don't understand why the 2U box isn't called "quad" either.

Cheers,
Huw

--
Huw Lynes                       | Advanced Research Computing
HEC Sysadmin                    | Cardiff University
                                | Redwood Building,
Tel: +44 (0) 29208 70626        | King Edward VII Avenue, CF10 3NB