[Beowulf] Forwarded from a long time reader having trouble posting

Tom Elken tom.elken at qlogic.com
Tue Dec 1 13:51:18 PST 2009

Toon wrote:  "Any idea why it gives better performance? Was it on memory bw intensive apps? Could it be due to changes in the kernel that take into account the Numa architecture (affinity)"

This is very likely it.  Dredging thru old e-mails, I see that, in Jan-09, the application of a then-current 2.6.28 kernel to a RHEL 5.2 system provided about a 2x improvement in 8-thread OpenMP STREAM performance.  Subsequently, moving to RHEL 5.3 and its default kernel provided the same good STREAM performance.

-Tom