[Beowulf] Configuring nodes on a scyld cluster

Michael Muratet mmuratet at hudsonalpha.org
Mon Aug 24 02:40:22 PDT 2009

Greetings

I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the beowulf or ganglia
list, please forgive a cross-post. I have been trying to get ganglia
(v 3.0.7) to record info from the nodes of my scyld cluster. gmond was
not installed on any of the compute nodes nor was gmond.conf in /etc
of any of the compute nodes when we got it from the vendor. I didn't
see much in the documentation about configuring nodes but I did find a
'howto' at http://www.krazyworks.com/installing-and-configuring-
ganglia/. I have been testing on one of the nodes as follows. I copied
gmond from /usr/sbin on the head node to the subject compute node /usr/
sbin. I ran gmond --default_config and saved the output and changed it
thus:

scyld:etc root$ bpsh 5 cat /etc/gmond.conf
/* This configuration is as close to 2.5.x default behavior as possible
    The values closely match ./gmond/metric.h definitions in 2.5.x */
globals {
   daemonize = yes
   setuid = yes
   user = nobody
   debug_level = 0
   max_udp_msg_len = 1472
   mute = no
   deaf = no
   host_dmax = 0 /*secs */
   cleanup_threshold = 300 /*secs */
   gexec = no
}

/* If a cluster attribute is specified, then all gmond hosts are
wrapped inside
  * of a <CLUSTER> tag.  If you do not specify a cluster tag, then all
<HOSTS> will
  * NOT be wrapped inside of a <CLUSTER> tag. */
cluster {
   name = "mendel"
   owner = "unspecified"
   latlong = "unspecified"
   url = "unspecified"
}

/* The host section describes attributes of the host, like the
location */
host {
   location = "unspecified"
}

/* Feel free to specify as many udp_send_channels as you like.  Gmond
    used to only support having a single channel */
udp_send_channel {
   port = 8649
   host = 10.54.50.150 /* head node's IP */
}

/* You can specify as many udp_recv_channels as you like as well. */

/* You can specify as many tcp_accept_channels as you like to share
    an xml description of the state of the cluster */
tcp_accept_channel {
   port = 8649
}

I modified gmond on the head node thus:

[...]

udp_recv_channel {
   port = 8649
}

/* You can specify as many tcp_accept_channels as you like to share
    an xml description of the state of the cluster */
tcp_accept_channel {
   port = 8649
}

I started gmond on the compute node bpsh 5 gmond and restarted gmond
and gmetad. I don't see my node running gmond. ps -elf | grep gmond on
the compute node returns nothing. I tried to add gmond as a service on
the compute node with the script at the krazy site  but I get:

scyld:~ root$ bpsh 5 chkconfig --add gmond
service gmond does not support chkconfig

and

scyld:~ root$ bpsh 5 service gmond start
/sbin/service: line 3: /etc/init.d/functions: No such file or directory

I am at a loss over what to try next, it seems this should work. Any
and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Michael Muratet, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist