[Beowulf] Wake on LAN supported on both built-in interfaces ... ??

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Fri Aug 14 13:14:18 PDT 2009

richard.walsh at comcast.net wrote:

> I have a head node that am trying to get WOL set up on.
>
> It is a SuperMicro motherboard (X8DTi-F) with two built
> in interfaces (eth0, eth1). I am told by SuperMicro support
> that both interfaces support WOL fully, but when I probe them
> with ethtool only eth0 indicates that it supports WOL with:

That board has "Intel® 82576 Dual-Port Gigabit Ethernet"

and Intel provides some information on that here:

http://edc.intel.com/Link.aspx?id=2372

where it says:

  Wake-on-LAN support
     Packet recognition and wake-up for LAN on motherboard
     applications without software configuration

and nothing more.  That is ambiguous, it requires that at least one
interface support WOL, but it does not say explicitly that both do.
Most likely the hardware does support on both ports but the driver is
confused somehow by the dual chip.

Try contacting the author of the linux driver and/or Intel directly.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu