[Beowulf] Wake on LAN supported on both built-in interfaces ... ??

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Thu Aug 13 16:56:33 PDT 2009

I have a head node that am trying to get WOL set up on.

It is a SuperMicro motherboard (X8DTi-F) with two built
in interfaces (eth0, eth1). I am told by SuperMicro support
that both interfaces support WOL fully, but when I probe them
with ethtool only eth0 indicates that it supports WOL with:

Supports Wake-on: umbg
Wake-on: g

$ethtool eth1 ... yields:

Supports Wake-on: d
Wake-on: d

ethtool -s eth1 wol g

fails indicating (as expected) indicating:

"Cannot set new wake-on-lan settings: Operation not supported
not setting wol"

The same command on eth0 works fine. I have set up eth0 to be
my internal (private interface) and eth1 to be the internet facing
interface. I would like avoid reworking everything ... ;-) ...

Any thoughts? Go arounds? Is SuperMicro telling me the truth
about both interfaces providing full support. Perhaps I am missing
some configuration option in the BIOS. SuperMicro says I am not,
but ...