[Beowulf] The True Cost of HPC Cluster Ownership

Daniel Pfenniger Daniel.Pfenniger at unige.ch
Tue Aug 11 07:38:19 PDT 2009

Douglas Eadline wrote:
> All,
>
> I posted this on ClusterMonkey the other week.
> It is actually derived from a white paper I wrote for
> SiCortex. I'm sure those on this list have some
> experience/opinions with these issues (and other
> cluster issues!)
>
>   The True Cost of HPC Cluster Ownership
>
>   http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/262/1/

This article sounds unbalanced and self-serving.

While it I clear that self-made clusters imply added new costs
in regard of turn-key clusters, they also empower the buyer
using standard and open solutions by an increased independence from
the vendor, and increases also its knowledge for future choices.
This aspect is hard to measure in monetary terms, but certainly very
important for some users.

I have  experienced all kinds of clusters (turn-key, mostly
self-assembled, and partly vendor assembled and tested), and my conclusion
is that the best is when the user has at least the choice to determine
the degree of vendor integration/lock-in.   Bad choices occur
because people are badly informed, and the article is so biased
that it doesn't improve objective information on this regard, just
serves as increasing fear and doubt.

	Dan