[Beowulf] performance tweaks and optimum memory configs for a Nehalem

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Aug 7 17:58:39 PDT 2009

Hi Rahul, list

In case you haven't read it, this Nehalem memory guide from Dell
has good information and the memory configuration details:

http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/04-08-2009+-+Nehalem+and+Memory+Configurations

A researcher here bought a Nehalem workstation (not a cluster)
with 24GB RAM also.  We followed the article recommendation,
which was also what the vendor suggested.
Maybe 24GB is more than needed, but presumably avoids the
performance penalty that would hit a 16GB configuration.
Since the computer will mostly run Matlab jobs,
and Matlab has no bounds when it comes to memory,
it may not have been a waste anyway.

Some people are reporting good results when using the
Nehalem hypethreading feature (activated on the BIOS).
When the code permits, this virtually doubles the number
of cores on Nehalems.
That feature works very well on IBM PPC-6 processors
(IBM calls it "simultaneous multi-threading" SMT, IIRR),
and scales by a factor of >1.5, at least with the atmospheric
model I tried.

This may be a useful way to explore your 24GB, say, by running 12
processes on a 8-core node (50% oversubscribed),
instead of the 8 processes that you run today on the Barcelonas.

As for compiler flags, if you are using Intel these are probably good:

-wS (which gives you SSE4, but check if there is something fancier now
for Nehalem)
-fast, although some of our codes had problems with the -ipo
that is part of -fast, and I had to reduce it to -ip plus the other
bits and pieces of -fast.

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa