[Beowulf] FPU performance of Intel CPUs

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 6 10:20:00 PDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 4:13 PM, John Hearns wrote:

> 2009/4/5 Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca>:
>>
>> well, in the HPC world, correctness is normally paramount,
>> so no form of overclocking is considered much...
>>
> Mark, welcome to Nehalem!
> http://download.intel.com/design/processor/applnots/320354.pdf
>
> They overclock themselves...

Turbo Boost, inspired by the famous car in Knightrider from Michael
Knight i bet :)

Provable for spec tests they overclock a tad more (200-400Mhz) than
when you test one at home...
...at home it just manages to overclock 1 core, not all 8 logical
cores, unlike at spec where of course it
gets cooled well enough to overclock at 8 logical cores the same
amount like at 1 core. Or maybe it wasn't
better cooling for the spec test, but simply a better chip?

Without turboboost i7 performs the same for my software like core2.

Vincent