[Beowulf] OT: speculation regarding the 22nm fab process

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 17:17:02 PDT 2008

Vincent,
I can well imagine that the topic is very competitive at some level; and I'm
certainly not seeking to leech industrial secrets from IBM or anyone else.
I'm just curious about the physics plausibility of something vaguely along
those lines. To quote from someone who replied offline,

"...But you[r] description was a little weak, as when you wrote ''Then
compute the inverse'' whereas sharpening-up an image by using the
appropriate computed holograph/diffraction mask is not usually described as
computing an inverse.  Also, it assumes that the features are larger than
the wavelength of the light so that you can take advantage of the
diffraction effects...."

I'm sure calling my description "a little weak" was generous :-)

Lots of the readers of this list are professional physicists working with
sensitive material. I intend no slight and expect no counter-contractual
revelations :-)

That said, I'm pleased with myself to have composed a paragraph of material
outside my areas of expertise, but which provoked some reaction :-)  But as
a physicist, I could take lessons from Democritus.

And you can even beat me at chess, so, um, fear my
enumerative-combinatorics-implemented-in-C :-) But sheesh, probably someone
does that better than I do, too.

Peter

P.S. do you have a kyu or dan in Go?