[Beowulf] OT: speculation regarding the 22nm fab process

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 29 15:39:04 PDT 2008

Hi Peter,

There is thousands of people working in those companies that produce
those machines, like ASML here does do.
ASML arguably has the best machines of the planet and that can get
proven by the fact that they can deliver to more and
more companies world wide.

I happen to know several who work or worked at ASML, and they all
share 1 thing.

Even if i talk to them, what ASML is doing is covered in total
secrecy. If i'd say there is a total information stop on
*how* they get things done, that is still an understatement.

It is far easier to get military informations, and i am not joking
here, than information about the new upcoming ASML machines,
not to mention how they want to solve problems there.

Software is however a very important component of those machines. It
has a lot of embedded processors.
Really a lot.

Where it is relative easy to figure out information on new upcoming
processors and hardware to support that,
the hardware to produce them is such custom tailored hardware, size
of the machines is simply limited by the
maximum size of an object that a jumbo can carry to give one example,
and the users using those machines aren't
greedy to give out information with respect to those machines either.

Maybe they can produce bigger machines when the A380 gets more popular.

So all replies you're gonna get with respect to this is gonna be
written by guys who do not work at those companies themselves.

Vincent