[Beowulf] Re: scratch File system for small cluster

Greg Keller Greg at keller.net
Thu Sep 25 09:52:40 PDT 2008

Glen,

I have had great success with the *right* 10GbE nic and NFS.  The
important things to consider are:

How much bandwidth will your backend storage provide?  2 x FC 4 I'm
guessing best case is 600Mb but likely less.
What access patterns do the "typical apps" have?
All nodes read from a single file (no prob for NFS, and fscache may
help even more)
All nodes write to a single file (NFS may need some help or may be too
slow when tuned for this)
All nodes read and write to separate files (NFS is fine if the files
aren't too big for the OS to cache reasonably).

The number of IO servers really is a function of how much disk
throughput you have on the backend, frontend, and through the kernel/
filesystem goo.  My experience is a 10GbE nic from Myricom can easily
sustain 500-700MB/s if the storage behind it can and the access
patterns aren't evil.  Other nics from large and small vendors can
fall apart at 3-4 Gb so be careful and test the network first before
assuming your FS is the troublemaker.  There are cheap switches with 2
or 4 10GbE CX4 connectors that make this much simpler and safer with
or without the Parallel FS options.

Depending on how big/small and how "scratch" the need is... a big
tmpfs/ramdisk can be fun :)

Good luck!
Greg