[Beowulf] RE: MS Cray

Naveed Near-Ansari naveed at caltech.edu
Mon Sep 22 16:13:05 PDT 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Lux, James P wrote:

> A big disadvantage of in-house is that it leads to an inventory of
> ancient gear that becomes hard to maintain, and balkanized ownership
> (we bought that for Project X, and though Project X is long gone,
> the former staff of Project X still owns it). A big advantage of in-
> house is that you can walk across the street and pick up an
> oscilloscope.
>
> Jim

We had some issues with these NASA owned machines in the previous
department i worked for. Because of arcane rules of ownership and what
could be done with these machines, they sat in a closet for years
(they may still be there) because noone knew what could be legally
done with these extrememly outdated and useless machines.

Naveed