[Beowulf] MS Cray

Tom Elken tom.elken at qlogic.com
Wed Sep 17 08:39:10 PDT 2008

> [mailto:beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org] On Behalf Of Huw Lynes
> On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 08:45 -0500, John Leidel wrote:
> > I almost hate to throw this one out there, but does anyone
> remember the
> > SGI deskside series?  Challenge, Origin, Onyx....
> >

> Having experience of all three, I suggest that it's a bit of a stretch
> to refer to any of those as "deskside".

"Challenge" covered a lot of system types.  Some were proper desksides,
but not proper Challenges:  From Wikipedia:

"Other systems from Silicon Graphics that used the "Challenge" brand
were the Challenge M and the Challenge S. These systems were repackaged
Silicon Graphics Indigo2 and Indy workstations that were not configured
with the graphics hardware that made them useful as workstations. These
systems were Challenges in name only and have no architectural
similarity with the multiprocessing Challenges, although they had cases
with the same blue hue as proper Challenges."

-Tom