[Beowulf] Q: AMD Opteron (Barcelona) 2356 vs Intel Xeon 5460

Sangamesh B forum.san at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 05:07:22 PDT 2008

Hi Tim,

     Recently I benchmarked a Fortran based Scientific application on both
Intel Xeon Quad core and AMD Opteron Quad core with RHEL 5. Following are
the results:

                                               AMD-2.3GHz
         INTEL-2.33GHz

1. Serial                                   147.719
sec                                73.952 sec

2. Parallel 4 core                        39.798
sec                                32.317 sec

3. Parallel 8 core                        26.880
sec                                30.371 sec

      For AMD, I used GCC compiler(gfortran), which is released by AMD for
its barcelona-AMD fam10 based processors.

      For Intel, Intel 10 compilers.

Thank you,
Sangamesh
Conultant-HPC