[Beowulf] MS Cray

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Sep 16 18:40:15 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 06:39:20PM -0400, Joe Landman wrote:

> The question that Cray (and every other vendor building non-commodity
> units) is how much better is this than a small cluster someone can
> build/buy on their own?

My impression has been that so far, there hasn't been a huge market
discovered for supercomputing appliances. Which is a shame, but there
you have it. It has been tried. And if anyone does make it work, I'm
sure everyone else will be all over it.

Cray also has a well-known inability to sell low-priced systems,
including the Y-MP/EL and XD1. Perhaps the 3rd time's the charm.

-- greg