[Beowulf] Re: GPU boards and cluster servers.

Franz Marini franz.marini at mi.infn.it
Thu Sep 11 04:56:39 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 15:19 -0700, Jon Forrest wrote:
> Going back to the original topic (I think), I'm
> planning on starting a pilot project to get
> people around here interested in CUDA GPU computing.
> Since this is a pilot I'm not interested in spending
> a lot of money.
>
> What do people think the best bang for the buck is
> as far as NVidia CUDA graphics boards?

If you're not interested (or need) DP, you can start with a cheap
9800GT. I wouldn't recommend a 9800GTX because for a little more you can
get a GTX260 which is faster and has DP support. If you want to have an
idea on how a "pro" CUDA board (that is, a Tesla) will perform, you can
get a GTX280, which is top of the line.

F.

Franz Marini
Prof. R. A. Broglia Theoretical Physics of Nuclei,
      Atomic Clusters and Proteins Research Group
Dept. of Physics, University of Milan, Italy.
email : franz.marini at mi.infn.it
phone : +39 02 50317226