[Beowulf] Re: Monitoring crashing machines

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Tue Sep 9 23:10:09 PDT 2008

Hi all Lawrence Stewart wrote:
> [...]
> A month or two later, the department calls in to inquire "Where's the
> numbers
> report?"  After some confusion back and forth, it seems that the department
> had been dutifully filing the abend dumps in a row of file cabinets, and
> wanted
> to know why they had gone missing after the upgrade...

OMG. I'm too young to have experienced that live (only started with ZX
Spectrum+ and C64 with nice assembler programs usually well below 4kB)
and can only say that I've seen 8 inch floppies during a one-week
experience in a company during my school days. You see, I'm coming more
from the PC side than Big Irons.

Before getting too off topic here, I would like to thank all people who
replied to my question (more answers to come). If someone invented a
thing which could distill the knowledge from people (without harming
them and of course leaving them with theirs) and produce a true
answering machine, I guess that would be *the* reference for HPC stuff
(and sometimes lengthy discussions drifting through the ether) :)

Thanks again

Cheers

Carsten