[Beowulf] Stroustrup regarding multicore

Lawrence Stewart larry.stewart at sicortex.com
Wed Sep 3 08:20:02 PDT 2008

This discussion of letting scientists program reminds me of something
that really
impressed me about an earlier generation of folks at, I think, CERN.  They
had, for those days, a big real-time processing problem to process detector
data, and they couldn't afford commercial computers to do it, so they built
their own racks full of limited 360 clones to do the job.  The
programming AND
the iron was completely incidental to their true goals.

They regarded computers and programming as means, rather than ends
in themselves, yet were not afraid to step outside their box anymore than
a woodworker is afraid to build a jig or grind a chisel to achieve her ends.

--
-Larry / Sector IX