[Beowulf] Security issues

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Oct 24 08:46:35 PDT 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Geoff Jacobs wrote:

> Or package the source packages and submit them upstream. Volunteer for a
> life of servitude!

Well, I was thinking more of site-specific custom cuts a la this sort
of thing:

> Usually when I build a cluster, I make local builds of MPICH2 for each
> compiler. This does not fit well with the paradigm of really any distro
> I've ever seen, which is why I leave it as a custom layer on top of e.g.
> Debian and do not package it.

(which you wouldn't, probably, want to submit back upstream:-) but yes...

> I have yet to see a distro do multiarch really well, so for the moment I
> try to work around (or perhaps above) the system and avoid using APT/YUM
> for handling multiple architectures/compiler toolchains.

Multiarch isn't that bad -- it requires maintaining twinned repos for
the different archs, and I'm sure both rpm and fedora distros do this
pretty much transparently for i386 and x86_64 and less so (for no
terribly good reason but fewer users) for any of the other archs out
there.  But multiple compilers -- wow.  Never really thought of that
one.

Maybe I should ask an actual question on the yum list (which, after all,
I endure listening to on a daily basis) and see if there are any
suggestions for compiler management.  What do you do, install particular
compilers per system and then need packages to match, or install all the
per-compiler packages on all systems and select the one you link to some
other way?

    rgb

>>     rgb
>>
> <snip>