[Beowulf] Security issues

Jon Aquilina eagles051387 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 03:16:30 PDT 2008

>>my response

Im not goign to turn this into a distro war everyone is entitled to their
opinions and preferences. that is not the problem packaing or repackaing
everything.

are there any debian based distros out there?

>> from john hearns

Oooh, here we go again. Distro wars :-)

Jon, if I may be permitted to play the Devils Advocate this morning,
any "cluster distro" jsut has the same packages as any other server distro.
Kernel, init scripts, ssh daemon, ntp, blah de blah de blah.

The 'secret sauce' is in the HPC stack.
This consists of the drivers for any high performance interconnect,
the libraries for the HPC interconnect, the MPI libraries, the high
performance compilers,
the maths libraries, the batch shceduler and finally the applications on
top.

In many cases the above are not packaged as RPMs (sorry - showing which side
of the fence I come from).
As an aside, all credit should be due here to Pathscale/Qlogic for superbly
packaging kernel modules and libraries for Infinipath, enabling you to
create a working MPI setup with little more than an 'rpm install' command.
Top marks.

To create this Debian based cluster distribution you're going to have to
package the above software types - and if anyone is going to actually use
it, they'll be looking at the most recent versions also. Quite often in a
distribution you will find an RPM for (say) LAMMPI or Gridengine - but
they're seriously out of date.

--
Jonathan Aquilina