[Beowulf] Cluster Architecture

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Oct 23 11:09:37 PDT 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, AlgoMantra wrote:

>> They don't have to succeed in the US to succeed, and in Europe
>> (especially in Russia) business linux boxes are very popular with the
>> government and many businesses who don't have the large prior investment
>> in MS systems to act as ballast.  As I've been predicting for years that
>> the day would come, I'm watching with great interest to see if it has at
>> long last arrived...:-)
>

> You have to see what's happening here in India. There is a large engineering
>
> college/university near my house, and Ubuntu is spreading like a forest
> fire.

Everywhere BUT the US, that seems to be very much the case.  Here
desktop Linux it spreading, but more like mold.  Or perhaps herpes -- it
requires a certain amount of intimate contact and seduction to infect a
linux virgin with it, but once they try it they can't wait to help
spread it themselves. (Sor-ree... couldn't resist that one:-).

Remember, if it doesn't exist on TV, it just doesn't exist, at least in
the USA.  Linux has gotten more visible -- there are some truly
hilarious "ads" on YouTube (search for spoofs of the Mac ad that include
linux) -- but there still haven't been enough real linux ads to make it
exist in the minds of most Americans.

Alas,

    rgb

> http://www.algomantra.com