[Beowulf] Compute Node OS on Local Disk vs. Ram Disk

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Oct 7 06:11:37 PDT 2008

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, John Hearns wrote:

> If we're talking about different interconnects to run specific jobs

Most of my previous messages in this thread were related to having to
run multiple distributions to cater for the needs of specific
application software which would not run or would not be supported if
run on a distribution other than the one specified by the ISV.

The question of interconnect which limits running of specific software
is a similar, but different question. I also had to deal with software
that uses f.e. GlobalArrays/ARMCI for which only GM but not MX is
supported on Myrinet cards.

> You just set up your job scheduler such that scientists needing to
> use Myrinet can request them.

Yes, this is already in use here for some time.

> Or by "conditions" do you mean diferent libraries or compilers?

Different libraries is partly covered already when talking about
different distributions. Different compilers... hmm, I don't want to
start on this subject, I've already written enough in this thread :-)
But can f.e. someone shed some light as to why PathScale compilers are
not supported on Debian or Ubuntu (LTS) ?

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8869/8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8868/8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de