[Beowulf] Has DDR IB gone the way of the Dodo?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Oct 3 13:05:48 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 10:00:05AM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:

> qdr would be 40 Gb (raw data rate, right?  so 4 GB/s before any sort
> of packet overhead, etc.)  I don't really see why that's a problem -
> even a memory-constrained current-gen Intel box has about twice that much
> memory bandwidth available.  AMD or next-gen-Intel will
> be even less constrained.

Let's say that I'm sending data which is in a cache.

So when the HCA does the DMA operation, all the bytes have to be
flushed from cache to main memory, and then transferred from main
memory to the HCA.

And the system isn't idle while you do this, so these transfers are
less efficient than you might think.

Of course, your "latency and bandwidth" benchmark won't see this
problem, because it only uses a single core, and it sends the same
buffer over and over without touching it.

-- greg