[Beowulf] Accelerator for data compressing

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 3 03:29:16 PDT 2008

hi Bill,

7-zip is of course faster than bzip2 and a bit slower than gzip.
Thing is that after the files have been compressed you need to do
less i/o;
the big bottleneck in most systems is the bandwidth from and to i/o.

A single disk start of 90s was several megabytes per second up to 10
MB/s.
Speed i see SATA2 drives get now is roughly 133MB/s.

I remember a speech from NCSA director a few weeks ago where he
showed a graph,
and it's quite obvious that we are gonna get enough cpu power in future,
what to do with it?

Let's be realistic. Suppose you've got a bunch of cores. Soon hundreds.
Then for each byte you get off disk, you have hundreds of cpu cycles
to decompress.

That bandwidth to and from i/o you can limit bigtime with a bigger
compression,
cpu power there is enough, provided it's not taking too long to
decompress.

Decompression speed of 7-zip is faster than bzip2 in my experience,
simply
because it can decompress in parallel and i don't see bzip2 ever
getting parallellized.

Compression is one of those areas where there gets put little money
in making a real good
realtime compression. In fact i'm busy making a kind of filesystem
myself now where compression
is allowed to take long and decompression must be realtime (simply at
a given cpu speed a certain
bandwidth to decompress) for any bucket.

Best compressors today have just 1 basic problem for GIS type and in
my case chess database
systems; they decompress the entire file.

With files of gigabytes, if you just want to access random byte
number X in the file, you're not interested
in bandwidth nor whether gzip is faster or slower than PPM type
compressors in decompression.

You just want that single byte that might be at the end of the file.

I'm planning to build such a compressor which is doing a lot of
mathematical function comparisions to
get PPM type compression, yet taking care decompression can be done
realtime.

there is a few filesystems which allow this, but the compression they
use for it, is just 70s/80s huffman based.
Real ugly bad, to say polite.

Note i'm speaking of lossless compression here, lossy compression is
yet another subject.
On the web if you ask me, too many photo's are of a quality that is
just ugly. Lots to improve there as well.
Lossy you can do way more of course than lossless.

Yet lossless i do not see real great systems there yet.

Time to build one myself :)

My argument is that something like a GPU might be real interesting to
take a look at for compression.
You can dedicate a bunch of cheapo GPU's to just compression; for
databases what really matters is the
decompression time.

They store so much, i'd argue a good compression, both lossless and
lossy is what we need;
Nowadays governments want to put in database every phoneconversation,
no matter how hard they're gonna deny that
to you;

I'd forsee that the amount of storage needed is huge, tiny company i
worked for was putting away in petabyte level,
and majority will never get decompressed, other than for some AI type
software programs that do some scanning later on.

The real big difference between the 'testsets' that get used in
compression and the status of compression, is that there is no
money to make for those guys writing a superior compressor that works
in terabytes. Companies do not soon invest in such
technologies, they just invest in products they can sell.

Having also worked with GIS data i see possibilities to compress that
factors better and still realtime look it up from embedded cpu's.

Vincent