[Beowulf] Linux Magazine - What He Said

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 2 09:54:13 PDT 2008

2008/10/2 Peter St. John <peter.st.john at gmail.com>

> John,
> After I first thought up my nutty GA scheme, I was then astonished by the
> John Holland Scientific American artifcle. I was aghast that anyone could
> even imagine thinking along those lines with 1960's hardware, as he had
> done.
>
> I believe I read the same article.
In fact, the first algorithm I tried was simulated annealing (I know this
does not equal a GA). It swapped so horrendously that I was discouraged, and
the thing took all night to run even for a simple 2D case (I was working on
radiation therapy planning).
I guess I should have been smarter and worked out how to do it within the
constraints of RAM that I had.