[Beowulf] Compute Node OS on Local Disk vs. Ram Disk

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 2 05:25:17 PDT 2008

2008/10/1 Donald Becker <becker at scyld.com>

>   It's foreseeable that holding an 8GB install
> image in memory will be trivial, but that will be a few years in the
> future, not today.  And we will need better VM and PTE management to make
> it efficient.

Hmmmm.... can I forsee Puppy Linux HPC Edition ????
http://www.puppylinux.org/

Being half serious here, is it worth trying to get one of these slimmed-down
distros to the state where it will run an HPC job?
Oh, and in addition to a barebones install for our contemplative cluster,
they have a onebones install which cuts out the GUI (cue more dog puns).

http://www.puppylinux.com/pfs/ looks interesting...