[Beowulf] SSH to compute nodes hangs

james bardin jbardin at bu.edu
Sun Nov 30 11:23:31 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Vlad Manea <vlad at geociencias.unam.mx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a problem with ssh and the firewall on my new Rocks 5.1 cluster:
> -firewall on
> -I can ping all compute nodes but ssh hangs...
>
> -firewall off
> -I can ssh into compute nodes.

Do you mean that you can connect with ssh, but it later hangs?
If that's the case, I see this with RH based systems fairly often.
There's a few bugs open, but no real consensus on what's going on. It
seems to have something to do with the ip contrack module, and the
network itself.

What I do is get rid of the "--state NEW" requirement for port 22.
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp  -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

-jim