[Beowulf] cli alternative to cluster top?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sun Nov 30 08:45:44 PST 2008

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Greg Kurtzer wrote:

> Warewulf has a real time top like command for the cluster nodes and
> has been known to scale up to the thousands of nodes:
>
> http://www.runlevelzero.net/images/wwtop-screenshot.png
>
> We are just kicking off Warewulf development again now that Perceus
> has gotten to a critical mass and Caos NSA 1.0 has been released. We
> should have our repositories for Warewulf-3 pre-releases up shortly
> but if you need something ASAP, please contact me offline and I will
> get you what you need.
>
> Thanks!
> Greg
>
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Thomas Vixel <tvixel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been googling for a top-like cli tool to use on our cluster, but
>> the closest thing that comes up is Rocks' "cluster top" script. That
>> could be tweaked to work via the cli, but due to factors beyond my
>> control (management) all functionality has to come from a pre-fab
>> program rather than a software stack with local, custom modifications.
>>
>> I'm sure this has come up more than once in the HPC sector as well --
>> could anyone point me to any top-like apps for our cluster?
>>
>> For reference, wulfware/wulfstat was nixed as well because of the
>> xmlsysd dependency.

That's fine, but I'm curious.  How do you expect to run a cluster
information tool over a network without a socket at both ends?  If not
xmlsysd, then something else -- sshd, xinetd, dedicated or general
purpose, where the latter almost certainly will have have higher
overhead?  Or are you looking for something with a kernel level network
interface, more like scyld?

   rgb