[Beowulf] What class of PDEs/numerical schemes suitable for GPU clusters

Franz Marini franz.marini at mi.infn.it
Fri Nov 21 02:44:35 PST 2008

Hello,

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 09:58 -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > Virtually any recent card can run CUDA code. If you Google you can get a
> > list of compatible cards.
>
> not that many NVidia cards support DP yet though, which is probably
> important to anyone coming from the normal HPC world...  there's some
> speculation that NV will try to keep DP as a market segmentation
> feature to drive HPC towards high-cost Tesla cards, much as vendors
> have traditionally tried to herd high-end vis into 10x priced cards.

That's simply not true. Every newer card from NVidia (that is, every
G200-based card, right now, GTX260, GTX260-216 and GTX280) supports DP,
and nothing indicates that NV will remove support in future cards, quite
the contrary.

The distinction between Tesla and GeForce cards is that the former have
no display output, they usually have more ram, and (but I'm not sure
about this one) they are clocked a little lower.

F.

Franz Marini
Prof. R. A. Broglia Theoretical Physics of Nuclei,
      Atomic Clusters and Proteins Research Group
Dept. of Physics, University of Milan, Italy.
email : franz.marini at mi.infn.it
phone : +39 02 50317226